Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart A Little

White Oleander
  1. White Oleander: Oh Astrid, so dragged through the dirt. A life of satisfying other people's agendas and overcoming to find herself. Yeah, this is a gut-wrenching story but it is also so good.
  2. Knife of Never Letting Go: The most common comment I have read about this book is it makes your heart leak out your eyeballs. It is violent, torturous, but it is so worth it.  
  3. A Monster Calls:  Patrick Ness you are a heartbreaker. This guy, I am new to him, and he just drags you through the dirt until you're screaming and you'll do whatever he wants. And Patrick wants the truth, the whole screaming, dirty truth of you. At the end you are torn but you're a better person and you just want him to torture you a little more.
  4. Before I Fall:  Life is short, some more so then others, will you be happy with what you've accomplished? You've probably learned these lessons before but they were well delivered.
  5. Looking for Alaska: This story, BAM, it hits you hard. And TRUTH (is this a trend here?) and pain and mysteries!
  6. The Jungle: Dark gritty secrets of being an immigrant in Chicago 1906 are revealed and the family featured has it tough . This story has violence and dirt, death and disgusting sacrifices. It is, also, the most touching and life changing book I read in high school.
  7. Weetzie Bat: Fairytale world meets hazy punk LA. Francesca Lia Block builds a world in a soft pink smog and thicker in emotion.
  8. Divergent: A broken world has five different factions of beliefs on how to rebuild. At 16 one must chose their faction. This is the journey of a girl choosing her faction and hope, against hope, that they choose her back and she survives initiation. Then there is a disturbance bubbling under the shaky peace the world is in. Every second of this story is walking on some edge.
  9. Awaken: Electronic are great, but do they break us apart. The lies we accept from false images has allowed us to hide from each other. Can we get the connections back?
  10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower: This is a roller coaster of a story. Those lows man they are low, but I shed happy tears at some points in this story too,and that is just an indescribable feeling.

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree on Divergent! Great list!

    Drop by my Top 10?
    http://tumblinginbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-10-books-that-broke-my-heart-little.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any of those - I'll have to look out for them. :)
    My Tuesday Memes post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Before I fall on my list forever, I am going to try and get to it this year. Here's my Top Ten
    Happy Reading!
    Cathy @ Addicted to Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of those books but they sound good.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read most of these but I am planning on reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower before the movie comes out in theaters. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Kelly @ Dandelion Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots there on your list that I want to read!

    ReplyDelete